Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Comfort knitting

I'm currently about a step away from ripping Isaac's jumper to shreds in a blaze of fury, and being honest, the only thing that has stopped me is the fact that I've cast off both the first sleeve and the bottom, the second sleeve is still on a lifeline and it's a bit more work than I like. He really is working his ticket at the moment.
This led to me remembering that 2008 was the year of knitting for someone who would really appreciate it (i.e. me) and I cast on for Labyrinth in the black alpaca that I got from the charity shop over in Thatcham. And it's wonderful- just simple and soothing and the gentle rhythm of yards and yards of stocking stitch is good for the soul. I haven't bothered posting a picture yet because there's a limit to how excited you can get about stocking stitch in black, but I like it. Very soft, but there's a strength and substance to it too. It feels like a very positive metaphor for life right now.
River is in the midst of the growth spurt from hell at the moment. In the last 48 hours he's started rolling, laughing and grabbing for things, and it isn't over yet. I'm scared of what the next few days will bring- he really is growing up far too fast.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

(((hugs)))

Andy said...

Good thing we have our knitting!!! I send sympathies for the hard days, the growth spurts (wishing I could drop off a dozen yummy muffins to add to your lovely variety!), and frustrating children. I've got a few of my own. :D

Andy (mamabeca)