Friday, January 16, 2009

Marilyn, I love you.


There are places in the world where you just feel immediately welcome- you get met with a smile, a friendly word, a verbal reminder of the last time you saw them. My local charity shop is one of those places, and it's largely because of one volunteer, a fantastic lady called Marilyn with a huge heart.

Today, Marilyn sold me this lot, plus a bit more. She and I have come to an understanding- that I find stuff I want, she adds it up, I look at her, tell her she's got to be joking and she's undercharging me, she laughs and tells me she'll get me next time. She never has, and I always round the total up to the nearest fiver and leave feeling like I've got the most outstanding bargain in the world.
This is how the haul above came to be in my possession, for the princely sum of three hundred and thirty pennies (plus rounding up because I always do. ) There's more- some flannels for the kids faces and a couple of board games, but that's the basics. I can't believe it. I am an exceptionally happy bunny right now.
Oh, and it's the Salvation Army in Gorse Hill, Swindon, if you're curious. It's also just round the corner from me, so feel free to drop in for a cuppa any time.

No comments: